All Carolina Law alumni are members of the UNC Law Alumni Association (LAA), a committee of the UNC Law Foundation. The Alumni Association connects and engages alumni, students, and faculty of the UNC School of Law through social, educational, and professional activities. Consistent with the purposes of the Law Foundation, it is dedicated to advancing the School, and its alumni and other communities, locally and globally, as leaders in law.
The Law Alumni Association is governed by the Alumni Board with officers of a president, vice-president and secretary. Committees of the alumni association are organized to fulfill the association’s mission to engage and connect alumni.
The association sponsors an annual Law Reunion Weekend, Scholarship Golf Classic, Bluegrass & BBQ tailgate party, events for students and other regional events throughout the country.
Who are Carolina Law Alumni?
Carolina Law’s 11,000+ graduates have become distinguished educators, honored judges, leaders in business, outstanding practitioners and leaders in government — including members of Congress, counsel to government agencies and hundreds of state and local elected officials.
Many of the school’s graduates practice law in North Carolina, but alumni are found in all 50 states and in 15 countries, with large concentrations in New York, Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Forty percent of all attorneys practicing in North Carolina are Carolina Law graduates.
For more information about our board and committees, contact Kelly Rose, Assistant Director of Alumni and Donor Relations.
2023 LAA Alumni Board
James “Jim” M. Deal ’74
- Vice President
Brian D. Meacham ’03
Angela M. Liu ’09
- Past President (2019 and 2020)
Karen A. Popp ’85
- Past President (2018)
Scott P. Vaughn ’86
- Past President (2017)
Barbara B. “Bonnie” Weyher ’77
- Advancement Committee Chair
Kyle Still ’07
- Alumni Engagement Committee Chair
Lauren Katzeff ’12
- Danielle Kimelstein ’16
- Community Outreach Committee Chair
Kearns Davis ’95
- Cornerstone Committee Chairs
Scott ’83 and LouAnn Vaughn
- Nominating Committee Chair
Karen A. Popp ’85
- 2022-2023 UNC School of Law Student Bar Association President
Faduma S. Ali ’23
- Faduma S. Ali ’23, Chapel Hill, NC
- Marion Cowell, Jr. ’64, Charlotte, NC
- Kearns Davis ’95, Greensboro, NC
- James “Jim” Deal, Jr. ’74, Boone, NC
- The Honorable Carl Fox ’78, Chapel Hill, NC
- Tristan Fuierer ’03, Durham, NC
- Rebecca Henderson ’85, Cornelius, NC
- David Hood ’91, Hickory, NC
- Ken Joseph ’96, Brooklyn, NC
- Lauren Katzeff ’12, Washington, DC
- Danielle Kimelstein ’16, Durham, NC
- Stephen Lewis ’91, Atlanta, GA
- Angela M. Liu ’09, Chicago, IL
- Erin Locklear ’02, Raleigh, NC
- Brian Meacham ’03, Raleigh, NC
- Charles Plambeck ’86, Princeton, NJ
- Karen Popp ’85, Chapel Hill, NC
- Reggie Shuford ’91, Philadelphia, PA
- Kyle Still ’07, Raleigh, NC
- Scott Vaughn ’86, Charlotte, NC
Judson Wood ’12, Washington, DC
LAA Alumni Board and Committees Joint Meeting Schedule
Spring meetings are held on the Friday one week prior to UNC Commencement.
Fall meetings are held the first Friday in November. One meeting will be held virtually and the other in-person in Chapel Hill.
- Friday, April 14, 2023 (in-person)