All Carolina Law alumni are members of the UNC Law Alumni Association (LAA), a committee of the UNC Law Foundation. The Alumni Association connects and engages alumni, students, and faculty of the UNC School of Law through social, educational, and professional activities. Consistent with the purposes of the Law Foundation, it is dedicated to advancing the School, and its alumni and other communities, locally and globally, as leaders in law.
The Law Alumni Association is governed by the Alumni Board with officers of a president, vice-president and secretary. Committees of the alumni association are organized to fulfill the association’s mission to engage and connect alumni.
The association sponsors an annual Law Reunion Weekend, Scholarship Golf Classic, Bluegrass & BBQ tailgate party, events for students and other regional events throughout the country.
Who are Carolina Law Alumni?
Carolina Law’s 11,000+ graduates have become distinguished educators, honored judges, leaders in business, outstanding practitioners and leaders in government — including members of Congress, counsel to government agencies and hundreds of state and local elected officials.
Many of the school’s graduates practice law in North Carolina, but alumni are found in all 50 states and in 15 countries, with large concentrations in New York, Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Forty percent of all attorneys practicing in North Carolina are Carolina Law graduates.
For more information about our board and committees, contact Carrie Clifford, Director of Alumni and Donor Relations.
2021 LAA Alumni Board
Karen A. Popp ’85
- Vice President
James M. Deal ’74
Brian D. Meacham ’03
- Past President (2018)
Scott P. Vaughn ’86
- Past President (2017)
Barbara B. “Bonnie” Weyher ’77
- Past President (2016)
Walter D. Fisher Jr. ’86
- Advancement Committee Chair
Yoel Balter ’07
- Alumni Engagement Committee Chair
David Hood ’91
- Community Outreach Committee Chair
Kearns Davis ’95
- Cornerstone Committee Chairs
Gus ’93 and Jennifer Puryear ’95
- Nominating Committee Chair
James M. Deal ’74
- Pro Bono Alumni Board Chair
Jared Smith ’16
- 2020-2021 UNC School of Law Student Bar Association President
Madison Scott ’21
- 2020-2021 UNC School of Law Black Law Students Association
- Adreanna Sellers ’22
- Holly Alderman ’89, Chapel Hill, NC
- Yoel Balter ’07, Wilmington, NC
- Jonathan Charleston ’86, Fayetteville, NC
- Marion Cowell, Jr. ’64, Charlotte, NC
- Ann Cox ’85, Atlanta, GA
- James “Jim” Deal, Jr. ’74, Boone, NC
- Jason Evans ’01, Charlotte, NC
- Kearns Davis ’95, Greensboro, NC
- Melanie Falco ’04, Freehold, NJ
- The Honorable Carl Fox ’78, Chapel Hill, NC
- Tristan Fuierer ’03, Durham, NC
- Ronald Gibson ’78, Charlotte, NC
- Alicia Young Hall ’96, Fayetteville,NC
- Caroline Hall ’15, Daniel Island, SC
- Penelope Hefner ’07, Monroe, NC
- David Hood ’91, Hickory, NC
- Mitch Johnson ’00, Statesville, NC
- Angela Liu ’09, Chicago, IL
- Danielle McLean ’10, Maxton, NC
- Brian Meacham ’03, Raleigh, NC
- William Page, Jr. ’86, Washington, NC
- Tanner Pilcher ’03, Richmond, VA
- Karen Popp ’85, Chapel Hill, NC
- Rose Prey ’04, New York, NY
- William “Bill” Purcell III ’15, Laurinburg, NC
- Gus Puryear IV ’93, Nashville, TN
- Henry Robbins ’04, Birmingham, AL
- Jared Smith ’16, Raleigh, NC
- Robin Stinson ’84, Winston-Salem, NC
- Scott Vaughn ’86, Charlotte, NC
- Joni Walser ’86, Norwalk, CT
- Barbara “Bonnie” Weyher ’77, Raleigh, NC
LAA Alumni Board and Committees Joint Meeting Schedule
Spring meetings are held the Friday one week prior to UNC Commencement in conjunction with Law Reunion Weekend.
Fall meetings are held the first Friday in November in conjunction with the William Horn Battle Society Dinner.
- April 30, 2021
- November 5, 2021