Legal Help

The UNC School of Law Clinical Programs allows second- and third-year law students to assist low-income residents of North Carolina with their legal issues.

The following clinics receive their cases from referring organizations: the Civil Legal Assistance Clinic, the Critical Race Lawyering Civil Rights Clinic, the Domestic and Sexual Violence Clinic, the Immigration Clinic, and the Youth Justice Clinic. These clinics do not accept cases from the public. People looking for help with these issues should select one of the options below to seek legal help.

If you are a former servicemember seeking assistance with a discharge-status upgrade, please call our Military and Veterans Law Clinic at 919-962-2888 (Mon.–Fri., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.). If you are a former servicemember but your issue does not involve your discharge status, please select “I am a servicemember or former servicemember needing legal assistance” below.

If you are a North Carolina resident looking for legal help with your student loans, please email Kate Sablosky Elengold with information about your concerns. We cannot guarantee legal assistance, but under certain circumstances, we may be able to represent you. Either way, we will respond to you as soon as possible.

The UNC School of Law Institute for Innovation houses the Startup NC Law Clinic, the Intellectual Property Clinic, and the Community Development Law Clinic. If you are looking for assistance related to a business or nonprofit venture, please call 919-445-0695 to speak with someone from the Institute for Innovation (Mon.–Fri., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.). Potential clients of the Startup NC Law Clinic may submit a request for legal services during certain times of the year.

We hope you find a resolution to your situation.

Please note that the following links and telephone numbers are strictly for information purposes. The UNC School of Law Clinical Programs neither endorses nor has any formal affiliation with the organizations listed below.

I am looking to do some research on my own.
I am looking for a quick answer to a legal question.
I would like a referral to a private attorney.
I am a full-time student at the University of North Carolina with a legal need.
I am over the age of 60 and need legal assistance.
I am a servicemember or former servicemember needing legal assistance.
I need help with a family law matter like divorce or child custody.
I need help related to domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking.
I am an LGBTIQA+ individual needing legal assistance.
I need help with a consumer issue.
I am a tenant looking for help with a housing issue involving my landlord, eviction, or housing discrimination.
I am worried about losing my house or my land.
I am having a dispute with my employer or former employer.
I need help with my taxes.
I have a legal issue related to a disability.
I need help with an immigration case.
I need help with a criminal or juvenile case.
I want to get my criminal or juvenile record expunged.
I am looking for help for an incarcerated person (myself or someone else).
I need help with a civil liberties or civil rights issue.
I need help with an advance directive like a will, living will, or healthcare power of attorney.
I need legal help related to a medical issue like medical malpractice or health insurance.
I am having a dispute with a lawyer.
I would like free help with a legal issue not listed here.