Students have the option to utilize loans to pay for their legal education. They can be used to cover discretionary costs (Tuition/Fees) as well as non-discretionary costs, such as living expenses outlined in our annual Cost of Attendance.

Federal Loans

Students may apply for federal student loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on Our school code is 002974. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Graduate PLUS Loan are your available federal loans. Federal loans come from the U.S. Department of Education, have several forgiveness programs and repayment plans (including some that are income-driven), and have no credit review (Direct Unsubsidized Loan) or only consider adverse credit history (Graduate PLUS Loan). The Direct Unsubsidized Loan annual maximum is $20,500; the Graduate PLUS Loan supplements the Direct Unsubsidized Loan up to the Cost of Attendance.

Private Loans

Private education loans are another option for financing law school. Private loans are available through private banks and lenders, typically have one repayment plan, and will evaluate your credit score and credit report to determine your approval and interest rate. To apply for private education loans, visit your lender’s website. We first recommend researching private education loan lenders to make the most informed decision.

Emergency Loans

Morris R. Gelblum Law Loan

An emergency loan fund in memory of the late associate dean Morris R. Gelblum assists students who are experiencing temporary financial hardship. Interest-free, short-term loans up to $600 can be made in critical situations, with repayment due in not more than 90 days. For consideration of the Gelblum loan, fill out the application and promissory note.

Office of Scholarships and Student Aid Loan

The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid also has a limited emergency loan fund from which interest-free, short-term loans can be made to cover temporary, emergency expenses. The funds can be used for books, living expenses, childcare, etc, but cannot be used for university charges.