In support of our mission to the cause of justice and a lasting commitment to pro bono and public service, Carolina Law wants to encourage students to enter permanent public service employment without regard to debt burden and to assist our graduates entering public service with their law school loan debt.
Since 2010, LRAP has awarded more than
$2 million of assistance to more than 140 alumni in 20 states.
Employment Type Funded
Public Defender 28%
District Attorney 19%
Government Agency 16%
$54,000 – LRAP Recipients
$130,000 – Graduates Working in the Private Sector
*current as of 2017
How does LRAP work?
Recipients receive a short-term loan from UNC School of Law and use those funds toward the payment of law school education loans. Eligibility is determined through the application and is reconfirmed after a year. If the recipient is still LRAP-eligible after a year, the short-term loan is forgiven. If a recipient becomes ineligible at any point during the year, the ineligible funds must be repaid.
Who is eligible for LRAP?
Applicants must be graduates of UNC School of Law and must work a minimum of 20 hours per week in a law-related job in public service that makes substantial use of legal skills by requiring passage of the bar or otherwise drawing heavily on law school training. Applicants must also have a salary of less than the maximum salary set by their location and be in active loan repayment.
Which loans are considered?
All federal and private education loans disbursed during an applicant’s enrollment at UNC School of Law will be allowed. Undergraduate loans and bar loans will not be included.
2024 Assistance Dates
• Mid October 2023: LRAP application available
• November 24, 2023: LRAP application due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late December 2023: Award notification
• January 12, 2024: Loan documents due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late February 2024: First installment disbursement
• May 10, 2024: Employment Verification Form and monthly loan statement for second installment due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late June 2024: Second installment disbursement
• January 14, 2025: Loan Forgiveness Form due by 5 p.m. EST
• January 31, 2025: LRAP loan forgiven
2023 Assistance Dates
• Early October 2022: LRAP application available
• November 11, 2022: LRAP application due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late December 2022: Award notification
• January 13, 2023: Loan documents due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late February 2023: First installment disbursement
• May 12, 2023: Employment Verification Form and monthly loan statement for second installment due by 5 p.m. EST
• Late June 2023: Second installment disbursement
• January 19, 2024: Loan Forgiveness Form due by 5 p.m. EST
• January 31, 2024: LRAP loan forgiven
2022 Assistance Dates
• January 20, 2023: Loan Forgiveness Form due by 5 p.m. EST
• January 31, 2023: LRAP loan forgiven