Welcome to Carolina Law!
Today is the day your legal education begins. With 175 years under our belt, we know how to educate successful lawyer and we can’t wait to see where your next three years will take you.
Orientation serves as an introduction to your law school experience, acquainting you with the classroom, faculty, staff, students and other members of the Carolina Law community.
Orientation takes place at the end of August (the Monday before classes start) when North Carolina is generally hot and humid so dress in casual and comfortable clothing.
During orientation, you can expect to:
- Receive your locker assignments
- Participate in the Student Activity/Campus Partner Fair to learn about the many opportunities to get involved with a student organization
- Tour the law school and the Kathrine R. Everett Law Library
- Receive an overview of what to expect during your first semester
- Meet and mingle with your fellow law students and connect with your Dean’s Fellows (2Ls and 3Ls who will assist you during your first year)
- Be welcomed by Dean Martin H. Brinkley ’92, the Law Alumni Association President, the Student Bar Association President and take the Carolina Commitment
- Get an introduction to the American legal system
- Lunches with faculty members, representatives from the North Carolina Bar Association
- Participate in break-out sessions that cover:
- Information about Admissions, Financial Aid, Academic Affairs and Registrar, Pro Bono Program, Career Development Office, IT
- Strategies for Reading and Briefing Cases
- Building Legal Analysis: Outlining and Issue Spotting
- Diversity, Inclusion and Cultural Competency
- Successful Exam Writing
- Success in the Experiential Classroom
- Experience the Socratic Class
- Professionalism and Wellness
- Meetings with small section professors
- Participate in a welcome reception hosted by the Carolina Law Alumni Association and the Office of Advancement
- Engage in your first pro bono project
- Enjoy a cookout hosted by the Student Bar Association