Areas of Expertise
- Banking and Finance Law
- Commercial Law
- Corporate Board Diversity
- Secured Transactions
Lissa Broome is the Burton Craige Distinguished Professor, director of the school’s Center for Banking and Finance, faculty adviser to the North Carolina Banking Institute journal, and head of the school’s Director Diversity Initiative, which works to increase the gender, racial, and ethnic diversity on corporate boards of directors. Broome also serves as the University’s Faculty Athletics Representative to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the NCAA. She joined the faculty in 1984. Broome served as the law school’s associate dean for academic affairs from 1993 to 1995. She teaches Banking Law and Secured Transactions and writes in those areas and on corporate board diversity. Broome co-authored Regulation of Bank Financial Service Activities, with Jerry Markham, and its accompanying statutory supplement, with the 5th edition published in 2018. She also co-authored Securitization, Structured Finance and Capital Markets (LexisNexis 2004) with Steven L. Schwarcz and Bruce A. Markell. Broome received the McCall Award for Teaching Excellence in 1986, 1992, 1995, and 1998. In 2009, she was inducted into the newly-created McCall Master Teachers’ Society for Teaching Excellence. She was honored with the law school’s Outstanding Service Award in 2010 and received the Law Alumni Association’s S. Elizabeth Gibson Award for Faculty Excellence in 2019. Broome is a member of the American Law Institute, the American College of Commercial Finance lawyers, and the International Women’s Forum Carolinas.
Broome majored in finance at the University of Illinois and earned a J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School, where she served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. After law school, she clerked for Judge Alvin B. Rubin of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. She practice law at King & Spalding in Atlanta before joining the UNC Law faculty.
- J.D. (cum laude), Harvard University (1981)
- B.S. (highest honors), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1978)
REGULATION OF BANK FINANCIAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES: CASES AND MATERIALS (with J. Markham) (5th ed., West Academic Publishing 2017) (with 2017 Selected Statutes and Regulations Supplement).
KF973 .B76 2018
The United States of America, in CAN BANKS STILL KEEP A SECRET? BANK SECRECY IN FINANCIAL CENTRES AROUND THE WORLD (S. Booysen and D. Neo eds.) (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2017).
K1089 .C35 2017
SECURITIZATION, STRUCTURED FINANCE AND CAPITAL MARKETS (with S. Schwarcz & B. Markell) (LexisNexis 2004).
KF1050 .S34 2004
In the Media
- Podcast: Creating Boardroom Value in New Ways, with Lissa Broome (Boardroom Bound)
- Focus Carolina: Lissa Lamkin Broome (Chapelboro)
- UNC School of Law's Director Diversity Initiative receives Leaders in Diversity award (Triangle Business Journal)
- ‘Laboratory of Collaboration’: Broome and Banking Students Speak at BOT Meeting (UNC.edu)
- Director Diversity Will Only Enhance NC's Appeal to Businesses (News and Observer)
- Study: Why It's So Difficult to Break the Glass Ceiling; Broome Comments (Marketplace NPR)
- Broome: Women, Minorities - And Lawyers - Scarce on Corporate Boards (Daily Report)
- Prof. Broome Leads Research on Diversity of Corporate Boards in N.C. (The Chronicle)