Areas of Expertise
- Business Organizations Law
- Conflict of Laws
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Entrepreneurship and the Law
- International Business Transactions
- International Law
- International Trade Law
- Organizations Law
John Coyle joined the Carolina Law faculty in 2010 and serves as the Reef C. Ivey II Distinguished Professor of Law. His teaching and research interests include contracts, corporate law, and conflict of laws. Coyle is the author of more than two dozen articles on topics ranging from contract boilerplate to venture capital to private international law. His work has appeared in the Duke Law Journal, the Iowa Law Review, and the William & Mary Law Review, among others. In 2015, he received the Frederick B. McCall Award for teaching excellence from the graduating class at Carolina Law.
Coyle attended Yale Law School where he was a symposium editor on the Yale Law Journal, an articles editor on the Yale Journal of International Law, and the recipient of the William K.S. Wang Prize and the Jewell Prize. After graduating from law school, Coyle clerked for Judge Reena Raggi on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He also practiced law in the corporate group at Covington & Burling LLP in Washington, DC, and taught legal writing at Harvard Law School prior to joining Carolina Law.
- J.D., Yale University (2005)
- M.Phil., European Studies, University of Cambridge (2001)
- B.A., History and Literature, Harvard University (2000)
Forum Selection Clauses, Non-Signatories, and Personal Jurisdiction (with R. Effron), 97 NOTRE DAME L. REV. (forthcoming 2022).
Enforcing Inbound Forum Selection Clauses in State Court (with K. Richardson), 53 ARIZ. ST. L.J. 65 (2021) .
Enforcing Outbound Forum Selection Clauses
in State Court (with K. Richardson), 96 INDIANA L.J. (forthcoming 2021).
In the Media
- John Coyle on the History of the Choice-of-Law Clause (Business Scholarship Podcast)
- City of Contracts Podcast: John Coyle (Legal Sifter)
- Coyle: A Short History of the Choice-of-Law Clause (CLS Blue Sky Blog)
- Not So Funny Things that Can Happen on the Way to Your Contractually Selected Forum; Coyle Paper Quoted (Lexology)
- Op-Ed: Editor Joe Green Discusses Article Co-Written with Prof. John Coyle (Reuters)
- John F. Coyle: Choice of Law Clause Can Be Complicated (Corporate Counsel subscription required)
- Start-Up Lawyering 2.0; Coyle Mentioned (OBLB)
- Is the CISG Irrelevant? Coyle Article Review (JOTWELL)
- Coyle: Is the SAFE Not So Safe for Investment Crowdfunding? (Crowdfund Insider)