Areas of Expertise
- Bankruptcy Law
- Commercial Law
- Law and Social Sciences
- Secured Transactions
Melissa B. Jacoby is the Graham Kenan Professor of Law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she teaches bankruptcy law, contract law, and commercial law, including and especially secured transactions. Jacoby has been elected to the American Law Institute, the National Bankruptcy Conference, the American College of Bankruptcy, and the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers, and has served as the Robert M. Zinman Scholar for the American Bankruptcy Institute. She is a recipient of the Grant Gilmore Award for scholarship from the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers and the Byrd Award for teaching, among other honors.
Jacoby held judicial clerkships with the Honorable Robert E. Ginsberg of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and was a staff attorney for the National Bankruptcy Review Commission. Before joining the faculty at UNC, she taught for four years at Temple University in Philadelphia. Jacoby graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, as well as from Penn’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in history.
The But-For Business Bankruptcy, 131 YALE L.J. FORUM (forthcoming 2021).
Foreclosing on Fame: Exploring the Uncharted Boundaries of the Right of Publicity, 77 N.Y.U. L. REV. 1322 (2002) (with D. Zimmerman) (reprinted in 11 J. BANKR. L. & PRAC. (2002)).
Westlaw | Lexis/Nexis | SSRN | Hein | BEPress
In the Media
- The Sackler Family's Bankruptcy Scheme; Jacoby quoted (The American Prospect)
- Jacoby Comments on NRA Bankruptcy Filing (USA Today)
- Would a Purdue Bankruptcy Protect the Sacklers? Jacoby Quoted (New York Times)
- Jacoby Discusses Elizabeth Warren's Bankruptcy Reform Work (Associated Press)
- PG&E Files for Bankruptcy Following California Wildfires, Jacoby Quoted (Wall Street Journal)
- Jacoby Comments on Sears Bankruptcy, Boss Eddie Lampert (USA Today)
- Victims Object to Private Equity Firm Buying Weinstein Company; Jacoby Comments on Bankruptcy (NPR Morning Edition)
- Jacoby Explains How Bankruptcy Law Could Keep Money From Weinstein Victims (Washington Post)
- Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Debt-Collections Case, Jacoby Quoted (Wall Street Journal)
- Vallejo Man Can Collect Damages Awarded in Lawsuit Against Police, Court Rules (Wall Street Journal)
- Jacoby Cited in 'Why Are We Colonizing Puerto Rico' (The New Republic)
- Puerto Rico Takes Restructuring Law to U.S. High Court, Jacoby Quoted (New York Times)
- Jacoby Weighs in on U.S. Treasury Plan to Protect Puerto Rico Pensioners More Than Creditors (Reuters)
- San Bernardino Bankruptcy Leaves Little for Police-Brutality Payouts, Jacoby Comments (Wall Street Journal)
- Jacoby Quoted: New Rules to Limit Tactics on Hospitals' Fee Collections (New York Times)
- Judge To Rule Friday On Detroit's Bankruptcy Exit, Jacoby Quoted (National Public Radio)