Areas of Expertise
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- International Law
- International Law and Development
- Sovereign Debt
Mark Weidemaier is the Ralph M. Stockton, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His teaching and research interests involve the intersection between contracts and dispute resolution in domestic and international settings, as well as issues related to the structure and enforcement of government debt. He blogs about these subjects on Credit Slips. With Mitu Gulati, Weidemaier also hosts the podcast Clauses and Controversies, covering topics in sovereign debt and international finance. Representative publications are available for download on the Social Science Research Network and the Berkeley Electronic Press. At UNC, Weidemaier teaches Contracts, Commercial Arbitration, Government Borrowing and Restructuring, and Complex Civil Litigation.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota Law School, Weidemaier clerked for the Honorable Dolores K. Sloviter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He then practiced law in the complex commercial litigation group at Dechert LLP in Philadelphia and worked at the School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a graduate of Carleton College in Northfield, MN.
Green Bonds, Empty Promises, 101 N.C. L. REV. (forthcoming 2023).
Mass Sovereign Debt Litigation: A Computer-Assisted Analysis of the Argentina Bond Litigation in the U.S. Federal Courts 2002-2016 (with G. Makoff), 56 U.C. DAVIS L. REV. 1233 (2023).
Westlaw | Lexis/Nexis | SSRN | Hein
In the Media
- Sanctions Push Russia to First Foreign Default Since Bolshevik Revolution
- Here’s How Messy a Russian Bond Default Could Be, Weidemaier guests (Odd Lots Podcast)
- For fixed-income investors, hell is other bondholders - Weidemaier cited (The Economist)
- Weidemaier Talks about the Curious Case of Aurelius Capital v. Puerto Rico (New York Times Magazine)
- Weidemaier Quoted on Bondholders and Venezuelan Democracy (Wall Street Journal)
- Russia-Ukraine $3 Billion Battle Back in London Court, Weidemaier Quoted (Bloomberg)
- Weidemaier Discusses Ruling Allowing Canadian Mining Company Seek to Seize Venezuelan Assets (Wall Street Journal)
- Weidemaier: Euro Area Redenomination Risk – Déjà Vu (Financial Times)
- Russian Loan Looms as Threat to Ukraine Bailout, Weidemaier quoted (Radio Free Europe)
- Argentine Debt Dispute Remains Murky Even as London Court Sheds Some Light, Weidemaier Quoted (New York Times)