Areas of Expertise
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- International Law
- International Law and Development
- Sovereign Debt
Mark Weidemaier is the Ralph M. Stockton, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His teaching and research interests involve the intersection between contracts and dispute resolution in domestic and international settings, as well as issues related to the structure and enforcement of sovereign debt. He blogs about these subjects on Credit Slips. At UNC, Weidemaier teaches Contracts, Commercial Arbitration, Government Borrowing and Restructuring, and Litigation Risk Management.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota Law School, Weidemaier clerked for the Honorable Dolores K. Sloviter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He then practiced law in the complex commercial litigation group at Dechert LLP in Philadelphia and worked at the School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a graduate of Carleton College in Northfield, MN.
When Governments Promise to Prioritize Public Debt: Do Markets Care (with U. Panizza, M. Gulati, and G. Willingham)?, CEPR DISCUSSION PAPER 13673 (2019).
Sovereign Bond Contracts: Flaws in the Public Data (with A. Kropp & M. Gulati), J. FIN. REG. (forthcoming).
In the Media
- Weidemaier Speaks About Crystallex Court Win Against Venezuela (CNBC)
- U.S. Court Rules Against Miner Crystallex in Venezuela Dispute, Weidemaier Quoted (Reuters)
- Weidemaier Discusses China's Sinopec Lawsuit Against Venezuela (Reuters)
- Weidemaier Discusses Ruling Allowing Canadian Mining Company Seek to Seize Venezuelan Assets (Wall Street Journal)
- Weidemaier: Greek Debt and that Sharp Bite in the Backside (Financial Times)
- Weidemaier: Euro Area Redenomination Risk – Déjà Vu (Financial Times)
- Puerto Rico’s History May Hold Answer to $70BN Debt Conundrum (Financial Times)
- Russian Loan Looms as Threat to Ukraine Bailout, Weidemaier quoted (Radio Free Europe)
- Ukraine's Debt Haircut Showdown Looms, Weidemaier Quoted (Financial Times)
- Argentine Debt Dispute Remains Murky Even as London Court Sheds Some Light, Weidemaier Quoted (New York Times)
- Argentina and the Holdouts: A Fight Without a Hero; Weidemaier Quoted (The Economist)